Thursday, August 13, 2009

Motivation

When this idea was presented to me about training for a fitness competition, my gut reaction was an undeniable "NO". There is no way I would ever consider something as crazy as that. Thoughts of masculine, overly tanned, muscular women came to mind. I have no desire to look like that and I don't understand anyone that would. This thought of it is just too big to imagine.

Through some research and heart to heart talks with Jason (my trainer/friend/motivator/Fame Competitor) I decided that this goal might not be so far out of my reach.

There are many categories for women and I was pleasantly surprised at just how beautiful and feminine the female competitors are. The costumes are amazing.

But, still in the back of my mind those negative thoughts linger. "Can I look like that?" "Is it possible for me to get that lean?" And, the worst one of all..."Do I have enough confidence to get up there in front of all those people in a bikini?"

Instead of just brushing the idea off, I went ahead and took a leap of faith. I threw my name in the game! I instantly felt a jolt of excitement and had visions of me prancing about in stilettos and a barely there swimsuit.

A few days later I went against my better judgement and let the cat out of the bag to a few friends and family. What I got was a little surprising. The people who I thought would be supportive weren't, and those who I thought wouldn't care were very encouraging.

This was a definitely eye-opener for me. I was getting support from the most unlikeliest of places. The fact that some of the skeptics made their opinions quite clear about this goal only motivates me more.

I know there are people who feel like I can't do it. And, frankly some days I feel like that as well. But, at the end of the day, this journey is about ME. I need to prove to myself that I am capable of climbing this huge mountain.

This is going to be the toughest thing I have ever done. The only person standing in my way, is me! I keep telling myself "I CAN DO IT BECAUSE I DESERVE IT."

The end result I'm hoping for, a happier, healthier and accomplished me.

3 comments:

  1. You're worth it Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bum, you'll never make it ( how's that for pure inspiration ? P S I'm always wrong

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is no different than anything else in life. There will always be those who support you, and those who don't. This competition is about YOU! Go out there and make us all proud, as you already have just by finding the inner strength and courage needed to commit yourself to this journey. Best of luck to you. -T

    ReplyDelete